But it's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
- Alice in Wonderland


It hit me last night while we were tumbling out of college, degrees in hand. It's been a year since we'd walked out together, and we probably never will again. I chose to stick within those walls for a year longer than you, but far from comfort me with their familiarity, what lay within them morphed over last summer into completely new terrain.

People forever reminisce and gripe about going back to school, reliving their whims and breathing at a different pace. What we don't account for is a million little factors perfectly tuned to creating our perceptions of what used to be a flawless reality, if only for a moment.

The roads we walked and sprawled on aren't the same. My classrooms are 500% more animated, but all our 'spots' now teem with strangers and I scarcely know them anymore. Every memory I have of three years ago are of a different place, a place I thought I would re-identify with you all treading the same ground once again, for a night.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that a greater part of my life will be spent validating and refuting my daily epiphanies. When I stop and think about life, I realise that, overall, it's pretty darn perfect. It's a whack in the face that I should probably be paying it more attention, because the greater details won't feature in real-time reruns.

[/sap]

4 comments:

nush said...

Isn't that what it's all about, validating and refuting daily epiphanies? We're all but accumulations of each of those tiny thoughts, the ones we had and even those we didn't.. Graduates.. Did it mean terribly much to you last night Gaya?

Ash said...

I wish I'd been there! Gah!

G said...

@nush- not as much as i expected, but enough, i suppose :)

@ash- i wish you had toooo! :]

kanchanashri said...

The opening quote is a befitting title for your piece! There are many more such epiphanies for you to write about in the tomorrows you so eagerly await :)

Post a Comment